I write so I can breathe. I am constantly evolving, mindless at times, frustrating even perhaps but heck, I wouldn't change the smell of freedom that comes with writing.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Lights Camera Action

The world of movies, a world that takes me to places I could never visit, lives I could never live, feelings I know exist but is difficult to express...my unreal real world. 

Here are some confessions: 
  • I cry at the drop of a hat.
  • I cannot stand violent movies of torture and sadist attitudes.
  • Horror movies for me is not entertainment.
  • I can watch some movies over and over again.

I stood this morning looking at the collection of my DVD's on the shelf and smiled. I sure knew which ones had stayed. 

Sholay - Undoubtedly a lifetime classic that I can never get over. I can watch it from anywhere and be as mesmerized as I was, way back in 1975. It was the first movie my parents took me to a movie hall to watch. What a fabulous way to begin a love affair with the movies. I never got over it, not Sholay. It reminds me of the cinema theatre (Eros) in Dimapur. I have lost count of the number of times I have watched it. I have not lost track of the dialogues. My tears still shamelessly flow when Amitabh dies at the end and I still get them goose bumps from that Amitabh-Jaya twilight scene.

The Sound of Music - Endearingly romantic and it is a joy to watch. The movie was drummed into every Josephite at school and it was not one of those we didn't like. We loved it. I found the movie to be a beautiful blend of love, romance, courage, inspiration and sigh...so many lessons. I want to visit Austria. I will. These dreams have been nurtured through my growing years and I so relate to the "I am Sixteen" and "Somewhere in my Youth or Childhood" and the heart-touching "Edelweiss". 

Life is Beautiful - If ever there was a movie that deserved all the awards that year, this was is. This film (even if the dubbing could have been better) made me hang on to every word, made me cry, smile and reverberates in me. I loved the eternal hope in it despite the worst of situation and the parent-child relationship of trust; the little boy's utter belief in his father's words and the father's brave positive outlook on life. Nope. Nothing matches this one on so many levels.

The Thin Red Line - In terms of music, one of the most amazing films I have watched. Not a single score is to be missed. Each one rendered me speechless and I stayed afloat every time I watch this film and every single time I close my eyes and listen to the music. Hans Zimmerman's master strokes are out of this world. Don't believe me? Go check these out. 

I Am - This National Award film by my friend and cousin and hundreds of people who made it happen s personal. The stories touched me because I could relate to them. Countless people have lived these lives, of Omar, Megha, Abhimanyu and Afia. Megha and Abhimanyu is especially important to me. I am a survivor. The connection is quite evident. This is my film too. I AM so fortunate to be a part of this. It won two National Awards - there was a reason for it. It never got commercial success plainly because it exposed what everyone wants to ignore or brush under the carpet. 

There are way more than this. Impacting my life are these movies, for various triggers they set off and these are my list of MUST WATCH!!! - 

Love and Romance
Sleepless in Seattle, Pretty Woman, Notting Hill, Begin Again, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight,The Bodyguard (English), Lamhe, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Jab We Met, Yeh Jawani Hain Diwani, Summer of 42, Chocolat, Titanic (Yes), The Scent of a Woman, The Notebook, 50 First Dates, Music and Lyrics, Gone With the Wind, Love Actually, Kal Ho Na Ho, Kagaz Ke Phool, Dil Se, Tum Bin, Guide, Guzaarish, Cheeni Kum, Kuch Kuch Hota Hain

Love of Life
Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Dil Chahta Hain, The Aviator, Fast and Furious (Tokyo Drift especially), Forrest Gump, Barfi, 

Inspirational/Provoking
Chak De,Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Schindler's List, Erin Brokovich, Philadelphia, Dead Poet's Society, Seven Years in Tibet, Ben Hur, My Brother Nikhil, Earth 1947, Fire, Pyaasa, I am Sam, Black Swan, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Taare Zameen Par, Swades, Do Bigha Zameen, Rang De Basanti, Queen, Guru, Paan Singh Tomar, Sarfarosh

Comic Delight
Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, Andaaz Apna Apna, Chupke Chupke (old), Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi, Half Ticket, Padosan, Angoor, Pushpak, Hera Pheri, Munna Bhai MBBS, Dhamaal, 3 Idiots, When Harry Met Sally, There's Something About Mary. The Truth About Cats and Dogs, American Pie, Modern Times, Home Alone, As Good As It Gets

The Military Kinds (because I am  Fauji, there is a list for this too!)
A Few Good Men, Topgun, GI Jane, Lakshya, Courage Under Fire, Broken Arrow, Pearl Harbour, Good Morning Vietnam, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Cold Mountain,The Boy in the Striped Payjamas, Black Hawk Down, The English Patient, The Hurt Locker, Behind Enemy Lines, Tears of the Sun, Act of Valor, Men of Honor, Crimson Tide, Stealth, Rescue Dawn, An Officer and a Gentleman, Shaurya, Annapolis, Flight, The Hunt for Red October, Down Periscope, Executive Decision, The Caine Mutiny, Dhoop

Surreal and Real/Sci-Fi
Inception, Dances With Wolves, Vanilla Sky, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, A Beautiful Mind, Gravity, Interstellar, The Astronaut's Wife, Dreamcatcher, The Abyss, Sixth Sense, John Carter, Oblivion

Drama/Action/Thrillers
The Godfather, Bourne Series, Golden Eye, The Lincoln Lawyer, Training Day, Snatch, The Dark Knight, The Silence of the Lambs, Reservoir Dogs, The Departed, Pinjar, Lagaan, Daman, Don, Ghulam, Life in a Metro, OMG, Jolly LLB, Filhaal

New ones to watch out for - Chauranga and Shab MISS IT NOT!

Sigh...go watch them...all of them. 

Copyright Sandy@2014



3 comments:

  1. Awesome movies list. Sholay, of course, is awesome. I am not sure if I can ever compile out a movie list, ever. Have watched so many but sure there are only few you can watch at anytime from anywhere... Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I missed out quite a few... :) Agree.I couldn't compile a movie list, not a complete one ever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great List. At least 70% of it has been covered by me.

    ReplyDelete